Monday 26 November 2012

Harvest Monday - 26 November

My harvest this past week has been very modest. In fact I think I will probably not be putting forward any more entries for Daphne's Harvest Monday for the next few months, since most of my veg garden (with the exception of the brassicas) is now dormant.

I did however harvest a couple more Radicchio, one of which was a fairly respectable size:


I have a lot of Endives in the garden too, and they get used in most of our salads. The Autumn here has been relatively mild (though very wet), so they are still growing. Often I find that they stop growing about the beginning of October and them just concentrate on surviving. This year I have quite a few of them under cloches, so hopefully I will be able to extend their harvest period even more.

Endives. Cloche removed for inspection.

Does this qualify as a harvest? (Scraping the bottom of the barrel here!)


That must surely be the last of the "Autumn Bliss" raspberries. In any case, it's about time I cut the canes down now. I usually do this in two stages: once in late Autumn, to reduce the height of the canes to about 3 feet (this stops them getting blown around too much in Winter gales and rocking the roots); and then once more in late Winter (end of Feb?), when I will cut the canes down to ground level, making space for new canes to grow.

************************************************************************************

P.S. Although I may not be participating much in Harvest Monday for the next few months, I'll still be blogging (mostly about food and cooking), so please do stop by my blog once in a while to see what's going on. :-)

16 comments:

  1. Radicchio just get better and better as the season draws to an end. A beautiful addition to an Autumn garden and a great photo too Mark!

    as ever - attention to detail. Great blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh those raspberries count as a nice harvest. Yes small, but I really missed my raspberries this year. The lack of rain made all their flowers dry up. Hopefully we will get a cooler summer and the rain back to normal next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our problem is that to harvest we have to travel to the plot rather than just pop outside. One disadvantage of an allotment rather than a garden veg patch

    ReplyDelete
  4. More than respectable! Those radicchio are awesome! I have found that I like the broad leaf Endive best, because the frilly variety is a pain to clean. I haven't picked mine for that very reason!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You bet those raspberries count! They look so delicious! Your endive and radiccio look wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe small, but still is IS a harvest! And nice, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mother was very surprised when she tasted her first radicchio. She thought it was some variety of cabbage like red cabbage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The raspberries sure do count! Although, I have to admit, I found a few raspberries in my scruffy patch (Autumn Bliss also) but they never made it out of the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree...the raspberries completely count! And your radicchio? Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful radicchio! I really ought to try growing some.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The 'you pick it, you can count it' rule definitely applies - particularly to something as delicious as a raspberry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is something really wonderful in picking any little bit of fruit this late. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It really isn't fair to tantalise with pictures of raspberries when one has none immediately at hand with which to assuage a sudden craving.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Radicchio is really pretty and I concur! Those raspberries count!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just found you and absolutely will drop by to see what's going on, especially as it's going to be about food. :)
    Am very interested by what your new season in the garden will bring. But for now I'll be content to consult your older posts.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  16. We don't seem to have the knack for growing radicchio — just lots of big, floppy, coarse leaves — but examples like yours spurs us on to persevere...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.