Wednesday 7 November 2012

Parsnip Tarte Tatin

The post I wrote the other day about the Beetroot Tarte Tatin that Jane made with my home-grown beetroot proved to be very popular, and it got me thinking about other types of veg that would work well cooked in this way. A couple of days ago I harvested the first parsnips of the season and was looking for a dish that would do justice to this significant event, and I soon decided that it ought to be Parsnip Tarte Tatin.

First parsnips of 2012 ("Panache")

Further thought on this matter convinced me that a TT made only with parsnips might end up looking a bit "monochrome", so I decided to add some of the really impressive purple carrots from our Abel and Cole veg-box.


The method of making the TT was the same as for the beetroot one, so I'll not describe it again. If you need the recipe, (which came from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's "River Cottage veg every day" book) I gave an outline of it in the Beetroot Tarte Tatin post.

Since this was to be our main dish, I decided it needed some protein, so I added some streaky bacon.


And because I felt it needed a dressing of some sort, I made this "Watercress salsa", which was made up on the spur of the moment - a blend of fresh watercress, olive oil, and chopped shallot.


Put the lot together, and you get this:


Makes a change from parsnips roasted in goose fat, doesn't it? This, by the way, was what I was thinking of the other day when I said I had a plan for using the first parsnips of the year. Seems to have worked out OK, don't you think?

9 comments:

  1. I love parsnips but I always ended up doing the same thing with them, i.e. roasting them or occaisonally making soup. Thanks for this idea of baking into a tarte tatin, I'm going to give this a go as soon as I get the chance :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really need to send us a taste before we can answer that question - do you think it would travel well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it worked out very well and I am sure it tastes good too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks and sounds absolutely delicious! Definitely something I want to try this winter...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now this is heavenly. Was a fabulous way to cook parsnips! I think swede and carrots next!! I have a new TT dish sent to me recently so ill be baking with it soon. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are quite a few parsnips appearing now, on blogs, on Twitter and of course in the veg gardens. Your 'Panache' look sprightly chaps and wouldn't look amiss in a Walt Disney. They certainly look well and aren't splitting and forking like many. You've definitely got the manure ratio right Mark!

    As for the photos of the finished serving.. it looks heavenly. We're going to try and a big thanks from us - for sharing this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You don't say if it tasted good. Did it taste good? It certainly looked good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious! I must give this a go!

    ReplyDelete

  9. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.