Thursday 11 April 2013

Long-lasting flowers

My perception is that the Spring flowers are lasting longer this year. I think perhaps the cold weather during most of March must have had an effect like keeping vegetables in a refrigerator!

The Daffodils round the base of my Crab Apple tree are still going strong, a month after they first started to bloom:

8 April

7 March
The Crocuses are also lasting well, and particularly enjoyed the sunshine last weekend:










We have had some welcome rain the last two days - light and refreshing rather than lashing down in torrents, so I'm sure the soil will enjoy it. Now we need some warmth.

11 comments:

  1. It is nice to see the flowers again now the snow has melted. My crocus survived being covered quite well but are now getting past their best. The display of daffs are more than making up for them though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely selection of spring flowers, Mark, especially basking in the sun. I think you're right that the cold weather has prolonged flowering a little this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought this too Mark. They could be just waiting for the bees!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daffodils and crocuses...these pictures are so beautiful! At least something good has come out of your prolonged winter. No rain here. Well it drizzled for a few minutes.:( I'm watering my plants twice a day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty Mark. I love the purple and yellow mix....are those Dutch Iris mixed in with the daffs?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your crocus pots are incredible. I love the way you mix colours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Last year our spring flowers were so fleeting since we had such hot weather. This spring we haven't even had the daffodils bloom yet. The crocuses and irises are up and they have been blooming for quite a while.

    I love your daffodils. They are one of my favorite spring flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spring bulbs are just so darn cheerful. Your displays look great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the refrigerator effect does keep them around longer. It's been unseasonably cool here, and quite wet, but I won't complain, after last years drought I'll take it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bulb flowers really worth it! They look very stunning.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.