Tuesday 23 July 2013

Sausages and onions in mustard sauce

This is a dish made from a Nigel Slater recipe, which I recently saw on Nigel's Simple Suppers. It is made with slow-cooked onions, sausages and a creamy mustard sauce. Really easy to make, but really nice to eat.


I cooked some sliced onions very slowly, until soft but not browned. Well no, actually, I cooked some onions a little bit too quickly, until they were brown, and then I realised that they were overdone and cooked another lot. I kept the first lot to one side and added them back at the last minute!


The sausages were really good plain pork ones from our local butcher. I cut them each into three pieces to make little "sausage nuggets", and cooked them on quite a high heat so that they went very brown on the outside while remaining soft on the inside.

Towards the end of the cooking time I added to the pan half a tub of Elmlea (you could use real cream of course) and large teaspoonfuls of both smooth and whole-grain mustard, and a generous sprinkle of chopped parsley.


I served the dish with a medley of vegetables from my garden - carrots, turnips, Broad Beans and French beans - and some "Ratte" new potatoes, simply plain boiled. They were really tasty!


I like Nigel Slater's style of cooking. It is simple, in a no-nonsense way, and emphasises the use of good ingredients.

5 comments:

  1. I like Nigel Slater too - I think I'd maybe add yoghurt but the recipe sounds tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your plate looks tempting...particularly with all that garden-fresh produce!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that looks delicious. May have to think about that the next time I make sausages. I suppose it would work with chicken or turkey sausages too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so delicious. I have some gorgeous sausages in the fridge, they may get this treatment this week! So very jealous of your bumper crop though. How lovely is that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm also another fan of Nigel Slater. I knew I should have bought some cream yesterday, it looks lovely Mark but it will have to wait for the weekend now for me to try.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.