Friday 21 February 2014

Crocus showcase

What a difference a bit of sunshine makes! A few days ago I wrote about the Crocuses being reluctant to open. No such problem now. In this post I'm going to let the Crocuses do most of the "talking"...


To me, the Crocus epitomises Springtime and the long-awaited end of Winter. Whilst indivdual blooms are indeed beautiful, I think they work best in clumps:


I have planted several of them around the bases of the three trees in my back garden - and lots more seem to have found their way in somehow or other...






The purple ones with white stems are "Crocus Tommasinianus", which is almost "feral", in the sense that they often seem to just appear spontaneously. The ones around the trees I did plant, but the ones peeping up from under the bricks around the compost bin....how did they get there?


My camera has difficulty in deciding what colour these Crocuses are. From certain angles they look very purple, but from others they are definitely blue! (No, don't bother telling me again about White Balance!)








My other Crocuses - the "posh" ones - are only just beginning to show colour. They are the same ones as last year, because I didn't buy any new ones in 2013. I have "Prins Claus", "Ruby Giant" and one called simply "Yellow" though it looks suspiciously like "Gypsy Girl" which is yellow with dark streaks. I'll show you some photos of those 3 in due course.

11 comments:

  1. Words cannot express my envy. Over the last three days we have oscillated between snow, thunderstorms, and now snow with driving winds. The blooms are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely to see the spring flowers blooming away, telling us that winter will be coming to an end soon. None of the spring bulbs I planted in autumn are blooming yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With over a foot of snow on the ground right now I'm only dreaming of spring flowers. Yours are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ours are just starting to appear. Cameras always seem to have difficulty with purple/blue hues as shown in some gardening catalogues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine are out too, I only have purple ones though, I think I shall have to invest in some yellow ones later on this year. It slipped my mind last year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty, Mark! I don't see those in Florida and am envious of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seeing a mass of crocuses, and on a nice day the occasional bee that finds them. The children have a huge swathe of them at their school, and they always make me stop for a moment and marvel. Beautiful photos Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful!! I love the artsy planting of them around the base of the tree. Looking forward to seeing the other varieties when they begin to open!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love crocuses (croci?) as they are such a welcome burst of colour at this time of year and yours are looking fab!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful flowers.. I had the same experience whereby the camera wasnt being able to capture purple colored flower correctly and they all look blue.. it is frustrating..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely crocus. You know I am very fond of purple flowers, especially crocus. The tommies are some of my favourites. I have only a scant handful here, that have crept in from my Mum's garden, where they spill from the borders across the lawn.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.