Sunday 2 March 2014

"Soleil d'Or"

I make no apologies for posting again about Spring flowers, folks. They are only with us for a short time each year, so we need to make the most of them.


This post is about Daffodil "Soleil d'Or" (Golden Sun). I grew mine from a bag of bulbs I bought in St.Mary's last year, when visiting the Isles of Scilly. If anyone from Isles of Scilly Flowers is reading this, I just want to say "Thank you" for including in my bag not just 20 bulbs, but 34! A reader asked me the other day whether this variety had a scent. I think this photo provides the answer:


To my mind, these flowers (I mean this particular variety) are the archetypical Cornish Daffodil. Their two-tone multi-flowered blooms are tall, slender, elegant, and radiantly beautiful. My Granny was particularly fond of Soleils d'Ors. She would have loved these.






 As you can see in my photos, the colour of the central trumpets varies considerably. Some are yellow, but most of them are orange. I'm wondering now whether the colour of each individual flower changes as it matures... Must observe more closely!




Last Autumn I bought a blue glazed flower-pot, specially to house these bulbs. Of course, when I found that I had a lot more than 20 bulbs, I had to split them over three pots! the other two stand proudly either side of our front door.


13 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I'm still waiting for my daffodils to flower, they haven't even got buds yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful blooms and I'm glad you posted all the pictures! The pots on either side of your front door must be a welcome sight indeed. We do see daffodils during the flower shows here and I have to fight the temptation to buy cold climate plants. It's best to enjoy them on blogs (a lesson I have learned after many mistakes).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am envious of your blooming spring flowers. We have more snow on the way here tonight and tomorrow. Garden is still buried under precious snows! Keep the spring flower pics coming. Glad to know that someone is experiencing spring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this looks like Spring is on its way. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You don;t need to apologise for posting daffodil photos Mark. We await their arrival with anticipation so must enjoy every second of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are very beautiful: certainly no apologies needed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always welcome to see Spring flowers blooming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look great, I am perusing bulbs with great interest at the moment. I will be making a mass order later on in the year & some scented ones would be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty, Mark. They are welcome Spring blooms even though they don't last very long.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our daffodils are blooming and we planted some at the Club called tete-a-tete that are very small daffodils but bloom nicely too. I'll have pictures of them on my next post about the Club gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You'll get no complaints from me regarding pictures of spring flowers. They are so cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our beautiful yellow daffodils return every year along the fence row, effortlessly!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They're absolutely gorgeous. Will keep my eyes open for some bulbs.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.