Saturday 18 June 2016

An allotment. Yes or No?

Just recently I discovered a new blog - Life at No.27, which describes the "journey" of a first-time allotment-holder, converting an overgrown wilderness into a productive vegetable patch. This has caused me to think again about whether I should get an allotment myself. Many readers will be aware that I retired from work at the end of March this year, so theoretically it could be a good time to apply for an allotment, because I will have more time to devote to leisure pursuits. But is it the right thing to do?

Mark's Veg Plot - 16 June 2016

I recently had the pleasure of meeting Life at No.27's author, Annabelle, and couldn't help but be struck by her enthusiasm and energy. She describes herself as a "20-something-year-old", that's to say a LOT younger than me! It is evident that she is not averse to a bit of hard graft. If you look at her blog you can see the transformation she has effected in a few short months (she only took over the plot in October 2015).


Annabelle's plot - No. 27


I suspect that this is a task that confronts many new allotmenteers. It could be that the allotment only becomes available when the previous occupant finally admits that they can no longer win the constant battle against the weeds, or even that the Allotment Committee expels them because the plot has become too overgrown. The first task then is probably the biggest: to get rid of all the grass, brambles, weeds, old wooden structures and any miscellaneous debris abandoned by the previous owners. Now, would I want to do that? Indeed, would I be physically capable of that? Although I am still relatively physically able, I do suffer from a lot of aches and pains caused by Fibromyalgia, and I might find the task too big.

I think if I were to apply for an allotment (and I definitely haven't made the decision to do so yet), I would want to go and see the state of what's on offer. Near where I live lots of new houses are being built, and allotment sites are part of the development plans. One of these new housing estates is on the site of what used to be the military barracks where I was stationed when we first came to Fleet in 1981. Wouldn't it be ironic if I were to one day dig a vegetable plot on the land where I once marched to and fro with my soldiers? The allotment site in question is currently open to new tenants and I think I would qualify because I live pretty close by - certainly within walking distance. Furthermore they have plots available in various sizes, starting with what is described as a "Raised bed plot (without raised bed)" of 18 -20 square metres, and going up to 142 square metres.

The "within walking distance" business is important, I believe. I have read a lot about allotmenteers who drive or cycle some fairly long distances to get to their plots and this seems to me like a disadvantage, not only because of the travelling time, but also because it would most likely mean you would only go there infrequently. Unless your plot had a shed in which you were happy to leave your tools and equipment (and thefts / vandalism do seem to be pretty commonplace), you would have to think very carefully about what you would need to take with you each time. Gardening at home doesn't have these problems.

Another thing that bothers me is that having an allotment means that you have to abide by other peoples' rules - and our lives have enough rules governing them already, don't they? The formal Rules of the site I am referring are contained in a document 11 pages long. In contrast, there are no rules that govern how I manage my own back garden (other than official Legislation, of course). To be fair, most of the rules are eminently sensible and I would have no problem complying, but there are bound to be a few little niggles, aren't there?

Mark's Veg Plot - 16 June 2016

What about water supply? I see that the allotment site I'm considering provides water-points, but how many is not clear, and where are they anyway? Could it be that one has to walk a long way for every fill of a watering can? Hoses and sprinklers are specifically forbidden too, though I can see the logic of that. Here at home, it's only ever a few paces to fill up the watering-can from the water-butt or tap, and I'm free to use a hose if I want, as long as there is not an official Drought Order in place.

Maybe the thing that concerns me most though is the quality of the soil. Having been gardening at my present property since 1991 I have done a lot to boost the structure and fertility of my soil. The site I have been referring to in this post is on previously uncultivated land. I'm not sure exactly where the site is situated, but in all probability it is underneath what used to be the Parade Square or the Motor Transport Park and therefore heavily compacted! Looking at the Chat facility on the allotment association's website, some of the discussion is about poor drainage and flooding due to the steeply sloping ground that some of the plots are on. They say that the Building Contractors have put in a layer of topsoil (of unspecified depth) but underneath is hard clay. Maybe I don't want a plot there after all...?


What's on the Plus side though? Well, the main attraction would be to have some extra space to play with. My current garden restricts me to growing small quantities if I want variety. If I had an allotment I would concentrate on growing a bigger quantity of crops, but of a smaller range of types. There's also the social side of it. I enjoy discussing gardening topics with my friends on Blogger, Twitter, Facebook etc, and swapping seeds with some of them, but it's not the same as meeting them in person and seeing their fruit and veg for real. You can often learn something far better if you see it in the flesh, so to speak. The other good thing is that if I had an allotment within walking distance, I would walk there, thus benefitting from additional fresh air and exercise in transit.

By the way, I'm not expecting answers to all my questions and observations. This post is really a way of helping me to clear my own mind on the issue, but if you have any thoughts that might help me make my decision, then please go ahead and share them with me.


P.S. I have now got permission to go and have a look.

29 comments:

  1. So many questions but, you are, actually, the only one who knows the answers. It is entirely up to you and I love the way you've been questioning yourself about that matter. i would probably think the same way. Many people take an allotment and then find themselves unfit to manage it exactly for the reasons you mentioned above. by the way, your vegetable garden looks beautiful. And so productive, And, at hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a nice dilemma to have, with the time to consider taking on more growing space. You can read about my allotment-holding experience on the blog. As you'll see, I think it's very much down to individual needs – what would work for you and what would not. For me, at my time in life, I felt it was a second best. Let us know what you decide!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt, your thinking is / was just like mine. Distant allotment and close-at-hand garden appear to be two very different things!

      Delete
  3. Mark I love my allotment plot because of the social side of things the ability to natter with other plot holders about plants soil types growing methods etc but the main reason is sometimes I feel the need to switch off from the world and just potter by myself but it is hard work and the pests can sometimes be one step ahead especially slugs and snails ultimately only you can decide what is best for you I suspect other plot holders would benefit from your knowledge if you did go ahead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure any advice from me would be valid on an allotment - I presume that conditions would be very different.

      Delete
  4. Would you have the option of giving it up if you felt it were too much for you to handle, or if you decided you didn't enjoy it as much as you hoped? Or, would you be tied in to a lease where you had to keep it for a specified amount of time?
    I think you would probably enjoy the challenges it brings, but it will definitely be a lot of work initially to get it going. It will give you something productive and meaningful to work on while getting lots of good exercise. Plus the social aspect that you pointed out would be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audrey, the Rules say that a tenant can relinquish their plot at any time, but any balance of the annual rent will not be refunded - though at 50 pence per square metre the rent is very modest anyway.

      Delete
  5. I'm with Audrey on this one Mark. As long as you could work in an "opt out" clause so that if you found it too much you could hand it back, then what have you to lose? Most allotment sites have waiting lists so I wouldn't think that giving it back would be a problem but I think you've got to give it a go. You would always have that "maybe i should have" thing niggling in the back of your mind if you don't. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the opt-out clause is there, so no problems on that score. The waiting list is more of a problem - it might be several years before I got a plot, even if I applied now.

      Delete
  6. As a long time reader of your blog, I think you would enjoy the in person interaction and meeting more people locally who enjoy growing veggies and most likely, enjoy cooking. I could see you and your wife organizing garden to table dinners :) That being said, it would likely take a lot of work to build up the soil and space to your satisfaction. Keep us posted on next steps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - there is no point in growing stuff if you don't like eating it!

      Delete
  7. I had a very large garden at my last house and part of the reason for moving was that it was becoming more work than pleasure. I have about an 1/8th of that space now and although sometimes wish for more, I really do not want that level of work any more. I have sciatica and when it strikes any gardening is out of the question, with a larger plot it would perhaps be impossible to ever catch up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean - the physical aspects of the issue are a worry for me.

      Delete
  8. Yes, yes, YES you should! Taking on mine is one of the most positive decisions I have made, for my mental health as well as starting to grow food. I have heavy, bright orange clay, poor drainage (particularly right now) BUT I am part of a great community, some crops always do well in a bad year and the space is wonderful. In fact if you ever wanted to come and have a look around you'd be most welcome. I do dig, but slowly and with a damaged back. No-dig is a good option on heavy clay too and something I am considering seriously. Security varies from site to site - ours is pretty good. I think though, if you don't try it, you'll never know. Given you're now going to take a look I'm looking forward to hearing what you make of the site and plots on offer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the positive reinforcement, Beryl!

      Delete
  9. If you grow enough for your needs in your own garden , and you do seem to be successful in growing a lot and using fresh all through out the season, then why bother ?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I garden in what you would call an allotment (the local community garden). Here's what I would say:

    Concerns:
    1. Proximity to home (I grow lettuces and herbs on my deck for quick access)
    2. Access to water
    3. Fencing to keep critters out
    4. Do other gardeners maintain their plots?

    Pros:
    1. The social interaction, talking to other gardeners, seeing what they grow, the annual pot luck supper in the fall.
    2. More room to try veggies with space requirements. More potatoes, more tomatoes, maybe try storage onions and garlic.

    Cons:
    1. Spread of weed seed, invasive plants, pests and disease from plots not maintained by their owners
    2. The physical labor to actually work an allotment. Raised beds would minimize the work. At 72 I am feeling it this year and may drop my second plot that is planted in-ground.

    You are much younger than me. Give it a try for a few years, you can always bail out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. An allotment is very different to growing in your own garden and as you say has pros and cons most of which you have covered. All our plots were badly overgrown when we took them. Quite a few newcomers on our site give up after finding the going too difficult.

    What does Jane think as unless she goes with you she could end up an allotment widow. Martyn and I both feel that we benefit from both of us being involved. Also the social side can seem idyllic bit as in most communities there are often 'problems'. No two sites or groups of people are the same. Some are heavily into the social side and others not.

    There is only one way really to find out whether it is right for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Mark...your backyard is a work of art. My only knowledge of a community garden belonged to my parents here in the U.S and theft was a heartbreaking problem. I am certain you would not worry about that. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you decided to take the allotment, maybe you could decide ahead of time what factors would influence a decision to drop it or to keep it going. Sometimes it is hard to give up a project even if it negatively impacts health and happiness, just because one made that initial commitment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I joined a community garden after downsizing and have really enjoyed the interaction with other like minded people.There are always pro's and con's in any decision making and sometimes we pay too much attention to the negatives rather than concentrating on the positives. I've been reading your blog for quite a while now and you have been limited by your lack of space and making do!!After retirement we do need something to challenge us and keep us motivated. I say "GO FOR IT" particularly given the fact that you can relinquish it at any time. Nothing ventured nothing gained.The joys of gardening too is sharing your knowledge with others and we need gardeners like you to impart this experience to others. Best of luck with your decision... I'm sure you will make the right one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also had the challenge of converting my sandy plot into a fertile garden which I did by using the no-dig method and that saved a lot of hard work. After 6 months it has been very productive for me. There are also other methods to try including straw bale gardening until you can get yourself established.

      Delete
  15. Well, you are certainly putting a lot of thought into this, which is as it should be. My first inclination, of course, would be to go for it - you love to grow food and this would give you the opportunity to really spread your veg-growing wings. You brought up some very valid points which could easily turn an enjoyable pastime into a frustrating and arduous task. But, just as many others have stated, I think that it's worthwhile giving it a go, especially as opting out should you decide that is not your "cup of tea" seems a rather easy & inexpensive process.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mike and I are in a similar position apart from being retired of course. We are currently third on the list for a local plot and hopefully we shall find out during the next few months if we qualify for one. For us it will become a weekend task and a place for long term crops . A large asparagus bed is on the menu.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't read the other comments but I say go for it. I used to have two plots and they were driving distance but I used to plant all my low maintenance and winter crops there and that seemed to work well for me. There was a great sense of community there and I really enjoyed it the couple of years we had it for. I must admit that having it in teh field outside my house now is much handier and I spend more time on it now, but I wouldn't change the time I had on them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We had an allotment plot for a few years and it was good fun but hard work. The advantage we found were the social side of it, sharing tips,plants and produce. The disadvantage was trying to get all the weeds out of an overgrown plot and not having enough time to make the most of it. It would be fun to grow things where you had marched! You could always try it otherwise you will never know! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh you definitely should. I'm in Fleet too and have an allotment on the Heath, it's not huge (9m by 6m) but it's my little slice of heaven. It was hard work at first as the plot wasn't established so there was a lot of digging and building of beds, not easy with a very bad back and various other medical issues, but I wouldn't be without it now.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Mark, I say definitely try it.
    Ive just got my allotment and as described its well overgrown and looked/looks like and overgrown field. So far I (hubby) have strimmed down everything and covered with thick black plastic sheets to hopefully kill all the weeds. Sometimes an enthusiastic allotment neighbor might be willing to strim down for you for a price, just ask ive heard. Also you dont have to tackle the whole site in one go so that takes the pressure off.
    Also you might be lucky and get an allotment with some well established trees/shrubs. I have about 6-8 rhubarb plants (think we strimmed down a few lol), couples of red currant bushes, 2 apple, 2 plum and a grape vine.
    Let us know what you decide.
    Natalia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.