Monday 15 May 2017

Promotion

My chilli plants have been "promoted". By this I mean moved to bigger pots.

Until yesterday they had been in 5-inch / 12.5cm pots like this:




Now they have gone into 10-inch / 25cm pots:


The doubling in diameter of the pot makes a big difference to the volume of soil to which the plant has access. If I were a mathematician I would work it out, but I'm not. Even I can see that it's not just twice as much!


Although the weather is much improved compared with say a month ago, I'm still keeping the chillis under cover when the sun is not shining. The plastic "Seedling Greenhouses" have been put to good use once again:


My biggest chilli plant (an unknown variety) has its first flowers already.


In a way, growing unknown varieties is more fun than growing identifiable ones. In this case all I had to go on was one dull red shrivelled-up pod, full of seeds. The pod was pretty big, so actually this might turn out to be a sweet pepper, like Long Red Marconi or something!

I think I have mentioned previously that my chillis this year are a very mixed bunch. The ones pictured above are good, and of a size that I would consider normal for this stage of their lives. Some others though are still resolutely tiny, like these:


I don't know what has made the difference, because they have all been grown in exactly the same way, using the same compost etc. It must just be "one of those things".

7 comments:

  1. Blooms on your pepper plants already, impressive. And it looks like there are lots more blooms forming on that one plant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your plants look amazing. I am assuming you are in a much colder area than I. I remember my pepper plants first blooming. (the ones I did plant from seed that is) Most of what I planted this year were plants I purchased.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karrie, I live in a little town called Fleet, about 30 miles south of London.

      Delete
  3. I,m growing peppers for the first time this year ,I,m amazed at yours having flowers already ! WOW !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just like moving from a mobile home to a stately house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If it was a cube, doubling a length would make the volume go up by 2 x 2 x 2 = 8.
    That is not quite what is happening with a pot so we will settle on "quite a bit"!!
    I really enjoy your blog. Thanks.
    PWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - precision is not important here!

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.