Monday 21 October 2013

Harvest Monday - 21st Oct 2013

This week I harvested this last batch of my bumper crop of tomatoes. A total of 2.75kgs:


Tomatoes still continue to figure prominently in our cooking, and I expect that to be the case for a while longer... These ones are being semi-dried.


We have had a second batch of Cavolo Nero (which I described earlier in the week) - the first one having gone to my daughter Emma.


I have also picked all of my "Veitch's" climbing beans, a total of 1.4kg:


It's not a big harvest, but you have to consider that those beans all came from two plants. They are not ripe either, so they will spend a spell in the airing-cupboard until the pods go dry and crisp. I brought them in because our weather is damp and still very mild for the time of year - ideal conditions for mildew and fungal diseases various. When the pods are dry and I extract the beans I'll probably have 300 or 400 grams of them, enough for maybe four meals for the two of us. I think I'll keep a few of the best beans for sowing next year, in the hope of getting a better germination rate.

I picked the last of the cucumbers too, prior to removing the plants. Just these three "tiddlers", about 6 inches long.


Next year I will probably plant fewer cucumbers! This year I initially had six plants, then four (because two died before producing any significant fruit), and the crop was enormous. The variety called "Melen F1" was the more prolific of the two, but the other ("Iznik F1") was good too.

A few days ago I wrote excitedly that some of my "Poblano" chillis were turning red. They're all doing it now. Just look at this:-

The ripening sequence - dark green; blotchy brown; bright red

While I'm on the subject of chillis (again), let me show you these enormous ones. They are of the variety "Sumher". The longest is 22cm from shoulder to tip.


My contribution to Harvest Monday is going to be very limited over the next few months, because I don't have many Winter-harvesting crops. I have decided that next year I will make more of an effort in that area. It doesn't seem right to have most of the garden being unproductive for so long! Maybe I'll gve Leeks another go; maybe try some Swedes; perhaps some Winter cabbages... The big dilemma is deciding which Summer crops will be omitted to make space for sowing the Winter ones.

12 comments:

  1. You have done well for so late in the season especially with cucumbers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here, there is a very hot pepper that look like poblano. This local pepper called 'cabe Dieng' or 'cabe gondol'. Very hot, juicy and spicy. The Sumher is similar with 'cabe merah keriting' in here. This one is also hot hot and spicy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful harvests. Maybe you could try undersowing some of your summer crops as fall approaches to get winter greens of some kind. Growing in winter is always a challenge. How low do the temperatures get where you live? Does your ground freeze solid?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The last of my tomatoes are also in, Mark, some in the banana bowl and the ripe ones have been roasted and popped in a jar with some olive oil. (The bit that wasn't used yesterday on an open tomato, feta and basil tart, yum!) I have the same dilemna with winter veg as my space is so small but I did think that I might try some cut and come again winter lettuce and spinach under cloche cover this year. I've bought Charles Dowding's book on the subject and will hopefully get round to reading it this winter!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful harvest! I wish I still had such nice looking tomatoes! I interplant my leeks and parsnips which helps to find the extra space for them to develop for the fall/winter. But it is tricky and they probably don't get as big as they might otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What will you do with the semi dried tomatoes? Just wondering as I've got yet another batch of tomatoes which have ripened, they're still coming faster than I can eat them. I really should make more of an effort with winter crops, especially as I have an allotment. I sowed leeks this year, but didn't get them transplanted. It just isn't good enough. Enjoy the cucumbers, we've a while to wait until we'll be harvesting them again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, the semi-dried tomatoes are now sitting in a jar of olive oil. They will be used partly as snacking food (e.g. with cold meat and cheese) and partly as ingredients in things like Spag Bol.

      Delete
  7. Very nice tomato harvest. Have you thought of growing parsnips? After a frost they are delicious roasted and the deep taproot does wonders for the soil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I always grow parsnips. This year I have "Panache F1" and "Gladiator". I expect to be harvesting the first ones very shortly.

      Delete
  8. Wow,were these all outdoor ,or with some protection?

    I thought that the Cherokee beans that I picked were drying off nicely in their pods.However I made the mistake of leaving them in a plastic bag (although the top was left well open to the air).
    Forgot that the freezer gives out some heat and found the bag was very soggy last night.Managed to shell and rescue most beans which have now been frozen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My tomatoes are almost over. I'm wondering if the chard is up. (Up and already eaten by pests waiting to (sluggishly) pounce?)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.