Sunday 1 December 2013

Tomatoes in December??

When I picked this batch of "Sungold" tomatoes on 2nd November I thought I had done well to get ripe tomato fruit so late in the year:


After picking those supposedly final fruits, I should have cut down the parent plant and composted it, but somehow I never got round to it. It's hardly picturesque, is it?


But look closely at the part I have highlighted in this next photo:


Yep, there are ripe tomatoes!


I took that photo yesterday, 30th November, but I left the fruits in place until today so that I could honestly say that I have been picking ripe outdoor-grown tomatoes in December!

So here we are - December-harvested tomatoes:-


Given a few days indoors in the warmth they will probably ripen fully. I expect them to be horrible, with tough skins, tasteless flesh, etc, but these ones were "for honours only" and the quality doesn't really matter.

Now, it's just about time to sit down and decide which tomato varieties to grow next year. Could be a long job... 

6 comments:

  1. Amazing!
    Have a beautiful day!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are growing Sungold as one of ours next year as many people seem to think it is a good variety.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a result. I've got all my varieties sorted out for next year already, I'll tell you about them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we've had quite a mild Autumn so far and I suppose your tomatoes are proof. We've had a cold week or two in Northern Ireland but not too bad for this time of year. We've only had one hard frost.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Well done Mark, you really are the tomato master! I've got all mine picked out too, very excited. Can't get enough of that food staple

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have no idea that tomato can stand on during the cold weather. I think it's an interesting variety.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.