Monday 24 March 2014

Harvest Monday - 24th March 2014

After a couple of weeks with no harvest to report, this week I do have something - and something very special, in my opinion: the first of this year's Purple Sprouting Broccoli:

PSB "Red Spear"

 I took the tips out of three of my plants this past week:


Taking out the tips first encourages the side-shoots to increase in size:


A few days after cutting the tips I took the first batch of side-shoots:



As well as PSB, I have harvested a good amount of Parsley ("in vegetable quantity" as Jane would say - i.e. not just a sprig or two for a garnish!):




Much of this went into a sort of Tabbouleh dish, served alongside some Lamb chops, about which I plan to post tomorrow:




Lots of sowing and planting is going on in my garden just now, but not much harvesting, I'm afraid.

9 comments:

  1. It must be nice to be harvesting again, especially your favorite crop. I'm still waiting for my soil to defrost, but I think it will be soon. Or maybe that is just wishful thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, those are some gorgeous harvests! I'm looking forward to a little fresh food from the garden again but we are no where near that right now.

    Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, yum, yum. I'm envious of your psb, I shall be putting more effort in to mine this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your use of the parsley...yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do miss PSB - sadly the family don't care for it so it seems too much space to justify for such a long standing crop just for myself - maybe next year. It is a great vegetable at this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your PSB looks good. The tabbouleh dish with the parsley is a great colour and looks very appetizing. Most of my veg, mostly kale, is going into flower now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You will keep mentioning that PSB but at least I have plenty of parsley!

    ReplyDelete
  8. PSB looks lovely. Must be wonderful to harvest

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your tabbouleh looks great. I can't wait to start joining in on the monday harvest reports again. But we still have snow on the ground here (so I fear it is still quite a ways away).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.