Tuesday 27 May 2014

Planting Leeks

Leeks are allegedly supposed to be planted out when they reach the diameter of a pencil. I think these are just about there, don't you?


Time to choose the lucky ones that get planted in a raised bed.


I had 42 seedlings, but space only allows for a small proportion of them to be grown on, so I have chosen the best 16. Prior to planting I laid out the pots in order to check the spacing:


Those plants in the foreground, protected from the cats / foxes by clematis netting, are Radishes.

This is my planting method. Using a trowel, I dug a hole about 8 inches deep. Turning the pot upside-down I tapped it firmly to release the plant, complete with its rootball and compost, which I then slipped into the hole before backfilling it with soil.


I backfilled the planting holes very loosely, leaving each plant in a sort of saucer-shaped depression. I then watered them in very thoroughly. As the plants grow I will pull the spare soil up around their stems, helping to blanch them.


The final part of the procedure was to cover the plants with a couple of my long cloches.


This is not to protect them from the weather, but to stop animals from digging them up before they are well established. I know that given half a chance the local foxes and cats would love to have a furtle around in the newly-cultivated soil!


I have only ever tried growing Leeks once before, and it wasn't a great success, but I'm hoping for better luck this time. The signs so far are positive... Now what to do with 26 spare Leek seedlings? It seems wasteful to just bin them. This is my solution:


I have kept 8 as genuine spares, but the other 18 have gone into those two pots, where I will grow them to use as "Baby Leeks". Seems to me like a reasonable compromise. 

14 comments:

  1. I haven't grown leeks in about three years. Maybe next year I will though. I do love them. But mostly I grew them to make leek and potato soup which I don't eat anymore. I need to expand my leek cooking obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plant leeks in a different way. When pencil thick, I pull the seedling out of the ground. The roots as well as leaves may be cut a bit to initiate better new growth. The seedlings go into 15 cm deep holes. Then, each seedling is well watered. No firming is needed because the earth will fill the hole as we water it and leek will grow into the space. Leeks need plenty of water. It is good to mulch the ground around it to protect leeks from sun. http://domivrt.vecernji.hr/media/cache/dc/ff/dcfffae7f58a4c146752ebc11b45b436.jpg

    I am not very fond of leek soup. But I love it braised with spices and other vegetables or fresh in salads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know that method. It is the one most people use, but I want to be a bit unconventional!

      Delete
  3. I grew leeks last year and I am not really sure whether it is worth it as they are in the ground for quite a long time. Mark - you give a name for this when a crop takes up a lot of space and time and you can buy them cheaply in the shops.
    Are you growing any Tenderstem this year???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, April, I have couple of Tenderstem plants on the go. That is all I had room for!

      Delete
    2. Oh, and the concept to which you refer is Value for Space Rating (VSR).

      Delete
  4. I think I have about 20 spindly little specimens in a seed tray. Far to thin to go out yet, I like your cat prevention net I shall try that next year for the raspberries. The little horrors are lying in the raspberry patch in wait for the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leek and potato soup is a favourite of ours, I plant leeks singly and also in a bunch of about 5 which I then pull early for the soup

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mark you are so organised. Its been raining here non-stop that I've barely been out in the garden, except to water whats in the greenhouse. My leeks and other veg are ready to go in the ground too. Good idea to plant the extra in pots for baby leeks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. how much time they will need to grow to be havasted, from now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they will be ready in late Autumn. Maybe November?

      Delete
  8. When you show photos across your garden it looks quite small. But when you explain what you plant in it, it turns out to be big. Hadn't previously realised gardens come in Tardis varieties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it were bigger! I never grow much of anything, but I do try for plenty of variety.

      Delete
  9. I love leeks and have packed them in this year to 6 inch spacing. I hope this will give a reasonable sized leek eventually fingers crossed. If they all come good we'll be eating a lot of leeks!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.